I have been nominated by fellow blogger of the macabre Grotesque Ground for a Leibster Award! I was unaware of this award until getting nominated but I am super honoured that they picked me as one of the blogs to honour. I am going to follow up this post with a list of some blogs I would like to nominate but in the mean time I wanted to take a moment to fufill the first half of the award duties which are to list 11 Facts and answer 11 Questions.
- When I was just a little boy of 3, I wanted nothing more to be The Wicked Witch of the West for Halloween. So my mother got me a children’s witch costume and painted me up in green face and drag. It was glorious but no one took any pictures.
- I almost went to art school for photography but ended up going to University to study cinema and ended up studying queer theory.
- I’ve worked as a cashier at a bathhouse, sold sex toys and porn and spent a brief period as a door to door fundraiser before landing my current job.
- I have two black cats. One is little and delicate and the other is obese and loud.
- Outside of horror, two of my biggest loves are Muppets and comic book movies.
- I own over a thousand movies on DVD.
- I love to bake, especially cookies and cupcakes.
- In highschool I played the part of Leroy in our production of Fame, complete with corn-rows.
- I never ever drink coffee or energy drinks just tea.
- I always get compliments on furniture in my home but a lot of it is stuff I found on the street from people who didn’t want it anymore.
- I don’t own a single Blu-Ray movie or a blu-ray player.
And now for 11 Answers:
- What made you become a blogger? I started making websites when I was a teenager and got into writing later in highschool. In university I wrote an article for one of the school papers and wrote some blog entries to facebook. I ended up getting asked to write a few articles for FAB Magazine and briefly spent time writing a blog for GayGuideToronto. And now I write a blog in hopes that I can help share my love of horror movies with other fans online.
- What is the movie that you would recommend anyone to watch? Alfred Hitchcock’s Pyscho is pretty much the Citizen Kane of horror movies and I recommend everyone watch it several times. Especially if you are a horror fan.
- What is the movie that you hate but everyone else seems to love? Sharknado. I have such a strong respect for classic terrible movies. Now a days, it is en vogue to purposefully create these beyond stupid monster movies that are just CGI schlock and lack any of the warmth and nostalgia of old school B-movies.
- Who are your three favorite directors? John Waters, David Cronenberg and Pedro Almodovar.
- What is the fear of yours that would make a great horror movie? I am terrified of home invasions, which make fantastic horror films.
- What is your favorite book? The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, American Psycho and Invisible Monsters. So many more that I love: Was, A Wolf At The Table, The Hours and Night.
- Do you have a personal favorite post on your blog? I am really proud of my American Horror Story recommendations. Lists of movies to watch that helped inspire the first two seasons. Hopefully I will have one for Coven done soon.
- What have you learned recently thanks to blogging? I’ve learned gratitude, and the importance of key word searches and tagging.
- If you could live the next two years in any country where would you choose? I currently live in Toronto and have to say I love it in the city but given the choice I would likely move to Germany, Spain or France.
- Is there anything else that you would blog about, other than movies? I’d probably write a blog about sex advice. I’ve done some sex ed teaching, including workshops and aftering working at a sex store for years got to be quite knowledgeable about stuff. Like less irritating and self righteous Dan Savage.
- What is your dream job? I would love to just own a small revue theatre where I could show my favourite movies, or I would own my own video store (even though they are a dying breed).